Why you need to drink water

Water: Tips to Stay Hydrated

Water is vital to life. It is so important to stay properly hydrated to keep your body functioning at an optimum level. Staying hydrated helps with digestion, body temperature regulation, joint lubrication, and other processes of the body. Water is needed to keep you alive, but can also help prevent disease. Here are some tips on water, and what it can do for you!

  1. Water can aid in weight loss. It has no calories, and it can help you feel fuller when you drink it before a meal.
  2. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight (lbs) in ounces per day. Remember to check the color of your urine. Clear means you may be drinking too much and you might be flushing out vitamins and minerals. Dark yellow and scanty urine may mean you are not getting enough water.
  3. The amount of water you need may change based on your physical activity level, climate, and body type. Be sure to plan accordingly.
  4. Don’t wait! If you are feeling thirsty you have already lost about 1% of your body weight in water. If you lose 2% of your body weight in water you may become dangerously dehydrated. Sip throughout the day to stay properly hydrated.
  5. Have a portable container with you to stay hydrated. Remember to keep track of your water consumption if you are regularly dehydrated.
  6. You can get water through your food, too. Fruits, vegetables, soups, yogurt, and other foods contain water. About 80% of your hydration during a day should come from drinking water, while the other 20% can come from your food.
  7. Is water boring you? Add a slice of lemon or other fruits/vegetables to excite your taste buds.
  8. If you work out less than one hour your body only needs water to rehydrate. If you do more than an hour of continuous workout, then you may also need carbs, electrolytes, and fluids.

 

More posts on Nutrition:

Better Digestion

Protein

Omegas

Liver Detox

 

This information is for educational purposes only. Seek the advice of a health specialist before making any changes to your healthcare.

water