Prevention For Chronic Disease
Chronic disease treatments account for more than 80% of healthcare costs in the United States. The answer to help improve conditions and lower costs isn’t coming from new medications and surgeries. A policy of prevention is needed to improve health and healthcare in America.
The Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC) is recommending reimbursing physicians for speaking to their patients about improving their health. Also, they want to strengthen healthcare providers connection with non-medical, community-based organizations.
What the BPC might not realize is that this role already exists. These are your doctors of chiropractic, acupuncturists, nutritionists, etc. It is our goal to help keep people healthy within the community, and avert the progression of disease. Chiropractors are primary care physicians in California that are educated to diagnose illnesses and counsel their patients on what may be needed for their health concerns.
What you can do to help Prevent Disease:
- Be sure to screen for any diseases you may be prone to (diabetes, cancer, etc.)
- See your Chiropractor (or other wellness practitioner) to keep you healthy before disease and illness. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Look for community-based interventions (weight reduction, free screenings, diet support, free health talks)
- Be sure to work at being healthy (diet, exercise). Great Health does not come by accident!
BPC future goals:
- Fund scientific studies into efficacy of prevention
- Invest in those who actually promote health and wellness that leads to proven disease prevention.
- Provide preventative measures for all classes in the community.
- Incentives for health promotion over disease treatment.
- Better integration of health promotion and the current healthcare system.
Other Related Health Topics:
Remember that this information is for educational purposes only. Seek the advice of a health specialist before making any changes to your healthcare.